Still Waiting to Hear Back After a Phone Interview

Dear Work Coach,

I am waiting patiently after a good telephone interview with an internal recruiter. At the end of the interview, I was told that I would get a call from the hiring manager if I get a second interview. That was a week ago.

My question is if it would be okay to call the hiring manager directly? Or should I only follow up with the recruiter?

Lowell

***

Hi Lowell!

First, congratulations on a good phone interview. Hope it turns into a good job! ;-)

I’ve given your question some thought. Part of me said “Why not go ahead and call him or her?” But then I remembered some places where that would have left a bad impression, despite the initiative it shows.

A week isn’t that long. Sometimes the phone interview phase takes a few weeks all on its own. And then they have to decide whom to call back, which can involve more time getting everyone to clear their schedules to do that. So the fact that you haven’t heard back yet is no indication of anything.

I think I’d wait until next week, and, if you haven’t heard anything by then, call the internal recruiter. It’s better office politics. Now if you can’t reach/ don’t hear back from the recruiter, then you could very politely and “naively” contact the hiring manager. You could say you haven’t heard back yet from the phone interview and aren’t sure if you were supposed to contact her/him but if so, want to let her/him know how interested you are in the company and to please let you know if there’s anything more you need to do right now. Might help and couldn’t hurt.

Good luck. Please let us know what happens, ok?

Ronnie Ann

In case you’re curious, you can read Lowell’s original comment and find out what happened. He wrote back November 5, 2008. Hint: It’s good news. ;-)

Stuck in the Waiting Game After the 2nd Interview

Comments

1. Hi,
    I had a phone interview January 24th and at the end of the interview (which was roughly 30 minutes) the H.R. person said he needs to talk to his supervisor and will get back to me early this week. That has not happened, should I email/call him next week to see what would be the next step if any?
    Thanks,
    Andrew

2. So, I ended up landing a phone interview with a company for a store manager position. It went well and I was set up with a second phone interview but more in depth on how I would handle various situations.
    I think it went bad but could not really tell. I didn’t stumble over my words or anything but the recruiter had to reask a certain question because I didn’t explain it on a more operational front. She only asked a few questions then when it came time for me to ask questions, one of my questions she didn’t understand and that was the question of “on a more international basis how does the company function?” At the end of the phone interview she told me that she has a couple more candidates to interview for the day and that she would call me Monday and let me know the next steps…I can’t honestly tell if this is a blow off or not. Any advice? The interview lasted 45 minutes.

Lauren,

In my experience, phone interviews often feel more awkward. I don’t recommend reading too much into it. Just hold steady, wait to hear back and keep your search open in the interim.

Good luck and all the best,

3. I had phone interview last week Monday
    at the end of interview he said you will hear by the end of week….
    if you don’t hear from me you can call or write an email to me for follow up?

How long should I wait???
    Raj

Hi Raj,

Since it has now been a week, why don’t you call tomorrow to see what is going on.

4. Rebecca R says:

I had a phone interview last Wednesday (May 22) and the recruiter said I should get a call back in 7-10 days if they are interested in me. I’m getting really worried because the deadline is almost up and I really need this job. Should I just keep hoping for the call or should I forget about it? I also want to know how long it typically takes to get a second call back from HR.

Thanks to anyone who helps me.

Hi Rebecca,

It’s too soon to give up on this job. It’s also hard to tell what is going on with them employer. It often takes longer than expected for the call backs to come.

If they don’t call you, why don’t you call them on Thursday or Friday. Tell them your name, the job you interviewed for and when you interviewed for it. Then ask what the status is, and what the next steps are in their process.

Keep looking for a job, even while you wait to hear back from an employer – any employer.

5. Hello!
    This is a wonderful discussion board!
    I submitted my resume for a PhD level Clinical Supervisor position on May 26th and was invited for a 20 minute phone interview that took place on May 29th with the head of the clinic. It went extremely well, but she only asked 1 or 2 questions then provided information about the position. The call only lasted about 15 minutes and for the record, an in-person interview is required. The job is a grant funded position with a start date of July 1st! I sent a thank you email the day of the phone interview and assumed that since the position has to be filled in 3 weeks, I would have received some correspondence by now, whether good or unfavorable.
    Any suggestions on how I should proceed? I really want this !!!
    Thank you in advance for any insight you can provide.
    Best-
    Nycole

6. hi susan!
    I had a phone interview yesterday which went really well as i was offered an in-person interview for the following week
    the person that did the phone interview, was from the team that i want to work to, and he said that i should wait for a call from the HR to schedule the interview
    i still havent received any news from the HR , and since this is for a place abroad i need to arange an internation flight
    should i send an email or call the hr department?

7. myra geluz says:

hi I had a phone interview two days ago and it lasted for 45 mins, not really sure if i gave thebest answers to the questions. he was taking down notes and getting thru detailed info. I was ask to do online questionaire. I’m not really sure if i did good with my phone interview .

8. I alo am waiting to hear back from a phone interview that happened almost 2 weeks ago. Let me set up the scenerio, because I feel this will help understand why I’m getting more and more anxious.

I applied to the job on a Friday. I got an email wanting to set up an interview that following Monday. I had the phone interview that same week on the Thursday. The interview itself seemed like the interviewER was in a hurry, she seemed rushed, which made me feel rushed and scattered. She told me after only 3 questions and then a further explanation of the job and how they want someone in September, and that she’d get back to me Monday, just a few days later. Monday comes and goes. Nothing. I emailed her then Tuesday and I get an auto-reply how she’s out of the office until Thursday. OK I’ve sent an email, and I also called to leave a message so they coudl heat my voice rather than sort through emails after being away from the office.

Ok, knowing all that, it’s almost 2 weeks since the interview, and I haven’t heard anything. How long am I supposed to wait now? Especially after being told I’d hear a few days later to set up a second interview AND with the speed of which they need someone to start coupled iwth how quickly I had an interview set up after my initial application… Do I assume I didn’t get the job?

Please help!!

9. I met with an internal recruiter, who setup my phone interview with the Hiring Manager. I had my phone interview with the HM, it went a half hour longer than planned, and at the end she gave me homework and told me I would be scheduled for a second interview. When the internal recruiter followed-up, he told me that they would schedule the second interview in 2-3 weeks.

2-3 weeks came and went. I called the recruiter to see what the situation was – no response. I emailed the HM to ask her if she wanted me to forward my homework to her in advance and she said that I should hold on to it till we meet again (and she was looking forward to meeting with me). A month has gone by, and I tried to follow-up with the recruiter one last time. No luck. Did I contact the recruiter too many 2 many times? Why would there be a wait if the HM seems to be more on board than the recruiter? Would they really give me homework if they weren’t going to follow through?

Help!

Hi Trace,

My bet would be that something has changed internally – hopefully something temporary – that has nothing at all (!) to do with you. The job was put on hold because profits or sales are down, or someone important to the process is out of the office or too busy handling a crisis.

It is also possible that a current employee expressed an interest in the job and was given an internal transfer. So another job will be opening soon (hopefully) IF (big IF!) this job was filled by an employee.

Or any of a million other things.

It sounds like you did everything just fine. I would wait another week or two, and get back in touch with the hiring manager – very politely – to inquire about the status of the opportunity.

Hope this turns out well for you!

10. Hi Susan,

I had this phone interview directly from the hiring manager, I can say that it went very well as she had advised me more than I expected, like she will forward my CV to her Recruitment team for 2nd round of interview and might be another interview with her Manager as she is currently on maternity leave (she’s working from home when she interviewed me). Then last week (12-Nov) I have received the call from one of her Recruitment team for another phone interview, I felt it was also good but I wasnt able to get the recruiter’s email to send a thank you email and I also didnt get to ask the time frame.

Now its been 6 working days and I havent receive any call for updates, if i’m moving to next round, as advised by the Hiring Manager, there will be 3rd round of interview since she is on leave.

Should I follow up with the Recruiter by phone maybe on the 7th or 8th day?

Thanks in advance
    Rachele

Hi Rachele,

Sounds like following up now is appropriate, since you don’t have any idea of the timing of their processes.

Just check in and ask about the status of your candidacy. Also ask what the next steps are for you and the timeline they expect for filling this job.

11. Hi Susan,

I am looking for advice, I received an email from a recruiter a few days after applying online for jobs. We transferred emails for a job and she also verified my clearance. Then she asked about an interview in the next few days. I agreed and had an interview the next day, 21 November. Interview went an hour and fifteen minutes and very well. When completed he stated that the recruiter or the PM would get in touch with me and we could go over the financial stuff and what not. I sent an email to the recruiter thanking for getting my interview right after. My question is I have not heard a thing yet email or phone call and understand thanksgiving was in there and with Christmas coming next week do I send an email or call her and ft a status or what? This is hard as it’s the first time in 25 years I have had to look for a job but since retiring from the military it is what I have to do. Please advice this retired Army guy.

V/r,

Gary

Hi Gary,

I would give the recruiter a call to see what is happening.

It has been very nearly a month since your interview, and perhaps someone dropped the ball or something else is going on – a re-org, budget change, a decision maker on vacation, even job cancellation – millions of things can impact the process.

Good luck with your job search – and GO ARMY!

12. iris castillo says:

Hi, need advise please! I applied for a couple of open positions for a company that I’m really interested in. The very next day, I received an email from a recruiter requesting a phone interview. The very next day (on a Friday) , I had a 15 min interview with a recruiter. He said to expect a call from the hiring manger for a second interview by Monday. I thanked him and emailed a thank you note the same day. Monday came by and I didn’t receive any email or phone call from the HM. I let a few days pass by and I asked the recruiter to clarify which position i would be interviewed for the HM (bc I applied for 2 different positions. He responded immediately. I waited a few more days to hear from the HM and still no call or email. It’s 2 weeks now after my first interview. I waited a couple more days then sent a follow up email. It’s been a few days and I have yet to get a response. Should I make a phone call to the recruiter or maybe contact the HM directly? Or should I just assume I didn’t the position? Since my first application a couple of more positions have been posted in the same area and the job title has changed for the position I was interviewed. I am so confused on what I should do! Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you

13. iris castillo says:

Hi, need advise please! I applied for a couple of open positions for a company that I’m really interested in. The very next day, I received an email from a recruiter requesting a phone interview. The very next day (on a Friday) , I had a 15 min interview with a recruiter. He said to expect a call from the hiring manger for a second interview by Monday. I thanked him and emailed a thank you note the same day. Monday came by and I didn’t receive any email or phone call from the HM. I let a few days pass by and I asked the recruiter to clarify which position i would be interviewed for the HM (bc I applied for 2 different positions. He responded immediately. I waited a few more days to hear from the HM and still no call or email. It’s 2 weeks now after my first interview. I waited a couple more days then sent a follow up email. It’s been a few days and I have yet to get a response. Should I make a phone call to the recruiter or maybe contact the HM directly? Or should I just assume I didn’t get the position? Since my first application a couple of more positions have been posted in the same area and the job title has changed for the position I was interviewed. I am so confused on what I should do! Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you